Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day in Florida







We're not red, we're not blue, we're ecru. A tie state. It's going to be an interesting night after an interesting weekend.

Fell asleep on the couch Friday night with a cool breeze coming in from the lanai. This FEELS like Indian summer. It's cool enough to start kayaking again.

Was a little late for yoga on Saturday and was forced to sit in front, within striking distance of the instructor. I said as much and the whole class laughed; from then on Mistress Sondra was on my case, teasing, smacking and asking for assistance helping with the newbies.

After yoga I went to vote. The woman in front of me was knitting socks. I said "you could have seven toes before we get in there to vote." We got to talking, she teaches writing at FGCU. I was expecting a three to four hour wait, but it was only two. Everyone was friendly and respectful.

Afterwards I had a chance to stop at the local fisherman's shack near my condo. I know, it sounds creepy - roadside fish. Up north they sell corn like this ... near the road with hand-made signs. I was afraid to try it, but my friend Connie (the Canadian Nurse) recommended it.

I bought a bag of giant shrimp (contradiction in terms) for $15.00. I asked if I could throw it in the freezer and got a look that said ARE YOU FROM URANUS OR SOMETHING?? I hate cleaning shrimp, it's disgusting but Omigod. I threw them in a pot of boiling water and they came out plump, white and delicious. Tonight will be my last handful for dinner.

I will never buy frozen again.

Saturday night Donna and I introduced Peggy (from Connecticut) to Fort Myers Beach at night. She was dressed to the teeth. I told her she needs to start wearing clothes she wouldn't mind wrecking. "Dress like you're going kayaking". Also less jewelry. Peggy had gonzo diamonds everywhere. Been there, done that - it's just really not safe (or appropriate) in this day and time. We showed her downtown, Times Square, Local Color and wound up eating at The Cottage. Just another incredible night on the beach.

The Barking Shark is closed. That has me a little worried, I love going there to destroy my ear drums on weekends.

Got home and I could have gotten a contact buzz from eau de pot pouring out of my neighbor's windows.

On Sunday I went back to the beach for a long walk, about four or five miles from the pier to Junkanoo and back. This is totally paradise. Stopped at the Silver Witch and replaced my fake Lauren silver hoops (purchased for $25) for real silver for $18. The woman was offering 20% discounts, asked me if I was local - an gave me an extra 10%. It really is a small town when you live here.

Last night before leaving work I took a black magic marker to a large McCain photo, giving him flaring nostrils, nose hair, a curling moustache and arrow through the head. I left it on our Resident Jamaican's desk for morning. Ya Mon.

When I got home my neighbor was outside feeding her cat. She asked if I knew when the polling locations were opening in the morning. She still hadn't decided who she was voting for ... I said I'd never had any doubt. She said she thought Obama should submit his birth certificate and prove he's an American.

??? WTF ???

I ventured into chick territory and brought up the importance of choice. Told her about the dead baby emails, aerial hunting, every yucky fact that might impress an authentic hippie chick animal lover. I may have struck a chord and hope I swayed at least one vote for the team.

So now it's election day. My boss reminded us that - because we're in a historically Republican state - we're seeing a distorted view of what's happening in the national elections.

Like anyone who gives a shit, I am on pins and needles. My boss - who has worked for other campaigns - believes Barack has it IN THE BAG.

I hope so.





No comments: