Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I dedicate this historic night ...



To my stepdad, John Lopez, who marched with Martin Luther King Jr. back in the 60s. (Photo taken last April when we all went to brunch on the Sanibel Princess.)

I called him the second I heard about Barack's win and congratulated him for all his hard work for all these many years.

His health has been very fragile. I told him "you have truly seen it all." He said "Now I can relax!"

I haven't heard him laugh in a long time. What a great feeling.

He and my mother have been campaigning hard in Gogebic County in Michigan's UP; the hard work paid off and the county voted Democrat.

My Jamaican friend from work texted, ecstatic. Before we left work I told her about being afraid to have an Obama sticker on my car in Florida. She says her mother felt the same way.

My last conversation about the election was just around 3. Our Business Manager asked why I was voting for Obama. I said partly because McCain would never survive, partly because he would be replaced by Palin and mostly because when you go to an Obama event you see every age and color - black, white, yellow and red. That is what this country is. What you see at a McCain event is what America was 50 years ago.

I said no single man has all the answers, but I trust him to surround himself with our best and brightest. I believe Obama will bring us together.

When I told her why I was pro-Obama I feared I was one of the few. I did not expect Florida to vote Obama. I am so proud to be wrong.

I am so proud that my little white beater with the Obama sticker now demonstrates a visionary edge over the massive Hummers with McCain stickers that ride my pathetic 4 cylinder ass each morning and night.

God Bless all the people who worked so hard to make this day in history.

Doug Edgar, Detroit area Cop who called Barack a Muslim and otherwise insulted my judgment for one hellish afternoon off Sanibel last March - you are what I said you are; a bigot. At least now you know what it's like to be a minority.

No comments: