Sunday, November 16, 2008

Trapped in Paradise




The evening I took this photo on Fort Myers Beach the air temp, water temp and my body temp were about 98.6. It was SURREAL. I have never felt or seen anything like it.

Trapped in Paradise.

I know, that sounds like a strange concept.

Went to yoga yesterday at Health & Harmony on McGregor and my Canadian friend Connie - a nurse and former professor - joined me for the first time.

She has fibromyalgia, I have Lyme Disease ... Gretchen, another friend at yoga, has CFS.

Gretchen and I have had significant relief from Iyengar Yoga. (Iyengar still teaches in his 90s. In his youth he was so ill he nearly died. His type of yoga is especially gentle and employs props.)

http://www.bksiyengar.com/

For Michigan friends - Iyengar was introduced to this country by a woman in Ann Arbor. When I sent my son a CD, I told him the CD was going back where it all began.

Anyway ... it is my hope that Connie will find some relief from this program. She did sign on for a series.

During our session she could hardly kneel and I heard her joints crack. I was very worried - and surprised since she has been investing a lot of time in other exercises.

Afterwards we went to Sakura on McGregor for soup & Chinese.

Connie told me she went to Washington DC last week to put out feelers for a new job. She seemed optimistic, but I knew she's at least as sensitive to climate change as I am. I asked her if she could survive up north again and she broke down and cried. (Our poor waitress thought there was something wrong with her General Tso's.)

Truth is - it doesn't matter if she can find a job there, she can't handle it. She said she was so cold she had to stand in a hot shower until she was warm enough to move again.

What a nice concept, to imagine you could move anywhere for work. It's just an unrealistic dream for some of us.

The temperature dropped 25 degrees in the last 24 hours. I am too cheap to mess with the thermostat and I'm damned if I will live in Southwest Florida and EVER use the furnace.

This morning I woke at 9 feeling like a stone. A stone in pain.

It's Sunday, I told myself I could sleep another 20 minutes. I finally limped downstairs and looked at my watch, thinking it had broken. It said 2:15.

I had breakfast well past lunchtime, fed the dogs, took them outside and had to go back to bed. I am 100 years old. Everything hurts. Thankfully, it's Godfather Marathon day on AMC and I caught True Blood and Californication tonight.

At this exact moment I think I'll be OK to go to work tomorrow. Everything I watch on cable ... I think about how I can apply ideas to our advertising campaigns. So it's not like I'm a 9 to 5-er. It's like they rent the demented portion of my brain 24/7.

But it's embarrassing to be coping with this shit, it makes me seem my age at the office. I am the oldest one there - although I don't think I seem like it.

I have enough vacation time left that I could easily go back to Michigan and see family over the holidays - but it would hit me so hard physically, I fear for the repurcussions. Last time I went north - August - I survived the giant temperature changes up there, came home and was sick for two months.

It saps my energy, leaving me susceptible to bugs and viruses.

My granddaughters are growing up without me. I have friends I'll probably never see again.

If I ever have to go back there to live year-round, I imagine I would be like a cripple. Or - like Connie and I agreed - we would shave 15 years off our lives.

It just sort of amazes me that nobody ever talks about this, about people who have to move here because they cannot survive in the cold.

Or - on a more positive level - about the people up north who endure cold and darkness who could be living fuller, more active, FAR more productive lives down here.

No comments: