Saturday, February 2, 2008

I receive my first guests!!

My son Shawn, DIL and granddaughters came down for the first time last weekend. I hadn't seen them since that traumatic day in May '07 when I pulled away alone in a 17' Uhaul. They thought I was going to my new job. They didn't realize I'd just received a call from my prospective employer that the job opportunity had dissolved. I will not name the company as they continue to struggle to survive - while I have managed to land the job of my dreams.

Another case of thanking God for prayers unanswered. There were months of incredible struggle, but in hindsight, it was worth it.

Anyway, I was back with family under HAPPY circumstances!!!

When they landed I took them to the condo to unload (and get familiar with the environs) - then to Parrot Key to hear the Yard Dogs play Florida swamp music:-) - the girls were mesmerized and dinner was excellent.

The next morning we hit Sanibel and Captiva. Shawn has always spoiled the girls, thinking they need Disneyworld or some big theme park to be happy. All that changed when 2 year old Ella sat in the sand with her bucket and pail - JOYOUSLY playing as children have for centuries. It's an image that will live forever in our memories.

We drove along Fort Myers Beach the second day and had dinner at the Holiday Inn with the Pinchers Restaurant in Estero. I told Shawn I moved here for Pinchers' buffalo shrimp. It is HEAVEN. That might have been our best time. It's a long way from the tiki bar to the water and the sand is soft as baby powder. Emma raced; Ella took our pinkies and giggled as we swung her with every third step.

Shawn and I drank on my lanai after everyone else was tucked in bed upstairs. It was pretty cool outside. I wrapped up like a Navajo and we caught up by the light of many candles.

Monday we fished off the BF's dock in Cape Coral and spent time at the beach & pier at the Yacht Club. I dropped them off at the airport around 7 and I think they were far less tired than they would have been under other circumstances.

The next time they come, they will know what their (my) Florida home looks and feels like; they will have favorite places in mind and things will be more relaxed. They're already looking at flights so they can come back.

He's calling more now that he's been down for a visit. ?? I have always encouraged him to take his family north (Michigan's UP) to see my folks cuz Grandpa is getting up in years. That was especially part of the plan those three years when I was so sick. I wasn't much to visit - just depressing to be around.

Over the past five years I think I accidentally put myself at the bottom of his list.

I'm exhausted from the visit - the preparation and the tour guiding. I bought a king-sized bed for the master bedroom, which meant transforming my giant closet with unpacked boxes into an inviting place to sleep. I also have an antique bed in there - smaller than a twin - but the girls didn't sleep on it; the suitcases did.

This weekend I'm back to resting and healing from the workweek. The Lyme Disease still kicks in when temps dip, but up north I would be nearly crippled from it.

I'm getting my fishing license today and the BF is taking me out on the boat. We swear we will catch something eventually.

Of course, we will have no clue what it is.

And tonight we're going to bike night. His house is in Cape Coral, so we'll walk. I want to charge the batteries for my camera. Last time he said he saw a woman in a thong and leather chaps.

She was in her 70s.

No comments: