Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pretty Little Kojo and the eBay Boycott

Was watching Kojo on "E" last night, picking his best and worst dressed from the Oscars. Looks like he had some work done - skin looks great, hair is gorgeous.

He sort of looks like a fresh young Hillary Clinton.


Got an email about an eBay Boycott.

I am already long gone my friends. I used to sell vintage jewelry like this brooch ... I had a nice online store.

I am a member of their Voices committee. Until they see this, probably. I went to HQ, I drank the Kool-Aid . I totally believed in the selflessness of the organization. In person they seemed like especially GOOD people. They had heart.

I had been sick a long time and buying/selling antiques on eBay was the only "life" I had. When I was finally diagnosed with Lyme Disease and started on the right treatments, I started writing a book about my experiences - "Sick Mick's Guide to Selling Antiques & Collectibles" - available on Amazon, etc.

eBay has a starring role. They were my salvation during the worst of my illness, living life out of a LaZ-Boy and limping out to the mailbox to send/receive.While writing the book I remember thinking "they may change - at least this will be the fundamentals of any online auction."

I was not prepared for what happened in the past year. I finally lost my hope for continued success on eBay when I started making VERY little profit beyond their fees. I felt like I was working for THEM. I closed my online store last summer. I probably had hundreds of hours of work in it, from photos to listing descriptions.

I am tempted to yank the book as well. Except that I'm hoping some other online enterprise will rise to the task of being what eBay was and should have continued to be.

The principles of selling online will always be the same; the big change is in choosing an online organization that will protect it's members, go easy on the fees and fully deliver on promises.

No comments: