Saturday, October 18, 2008

An Open Letter to pro-McCain Born Again Christian Fundamentalists


I don't know how I got on this particular email list. It was obviously fundamentalist Christian and I'm pretty sure the woman who sent the Obama smear copied and pasted it from something else. There's not that much original thought out there these days.

So I wrote the woman "please take me off your email list." Then I started a slow steam and decided to "reply all" to everyone on her list:

"I thought McCain was a good man when he first started running. He is (was) a man of honor. He is part of our history.

But his behavior in these debates has been rude and difficult to watch. Age also has honor - except that he is incredibly out of touch. He makes outdated references to "Hoover" - most people don't think "past president", they think "vacuum."

His age is cause for alarm because this grueling campaign will diminish his health. Imagine what the actual role of PRESIDENT will do. He gets more gray every day.

I am not ready for President Palin and The First Dude. I could have tolerated McCain as president, but NEVER with her second in command. From the animal pelts hanging on the walls of her office to her permission to shoot wolves and bear by airplane, she flies in the face of compassion.

She is a rabble rouser who stirs throngs to shouts of "hang him" - "kill Obama."

Those of you who are Christian ... where in the Bible do you find the scripture that says it's OK to incite this level of hatred against anyone, let alone another Christian?

Obama is Christian; maybe he does not wear your exact brand of Christianity.

Those of you who believe those who aren't of your exact brand are going to hell ... I can't even respond to how I feel about that. I am ENRAGED. You are not the boss of me!!! You will NEVER BE the boss of me!! She is one of you and I will have no part of it.

This nation needs to come together to fix this mess, not divide by faith. Those of you who don't like the fact that he's black. He's also half white and when he accepted his party's nomination he thanked his white grandmother for pouring everything she had into him.

As a mom of a Navy veteran and a proud grandmother whose own life hero was her own grandmother (who also poured her soul into ME ) I'm voting for the man with heart, with an intact first wife and first family, someone who will help us get our world respect back.

I see HOPE in his being both black and white.

I am especially sick of the ugly, 1950's racist undertones that are manifest in the Republican campaign. Look around you. This country is more than black and white - it is brown and Asian and ... Jewish and Muslim and Buddhist and so many things. I love the differences, I think they make us BETTER.

You can vote to pull us all together as one intelligent, informed society or you can vote for more 1950s small-mindedness.

In response to the original email, THAT'S what I call scary.

I did not copy and paste this response. It is not part of some chain. This is from MY HEART.

If we do not embrace change we are doomed.

No comments: