Friday, October 17, 2008

We're being asked to wear our Obama buttons!









I was meeting Gina at Leapin' Lizards in Cape Coral; we haven't seen each other in a year.

She and Rusty are no longer an item. She has been "single" for six months and said tonight was the first time she's been out in all that time.

The place was hoppin'. Almost immediately Gina went off on this unprovoked anti-Palin tangent. Her rage was amazing, it was like sitting across from myself. She told me our mutual friend, Bible-thumping judgey Christine has been sending her pro-life anti-Obama email assaults. I told Gina about the dead and aborted baby email she sent me.

A few minutes ago I sent Gina this great link; hopefully she'll pass it on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIc8jdra0o

I was going to just include Christine in the email, but that would be overtly pissy. Subtle is more fun.

It wasn't until about 10 that the Obama button started having some effect on the patrons. But the reactions weren't what I expected. I got nods and smiles. Holy crap.

One guy did come up, all arrogant, and said "Oh, so you like BLACK guys?" And the way he said it was insulting. I'm sure he thought he'd rattle me, I'm told I look like such a sweet, demure person.

So I satup a little straighter, looked him straight in the eyes and said "Yeah, as a matter of fact I do."

Gina told me the fundamentalists consider Obama to be the antichrist. I confessed to Gina that I secretly believe in Jesus (and the Buddha and other representatives of God on earth) but I'm too embarrassed to admit it because I refuse to be associated with control freak fundamentalist jackasses.

The sad thing is their behavior reflects poorly on some genuinely wonderful people.

Strange times. Strange times indeed.

No comments: