Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On the Cusp of Impressionable and Inappropriate



There was this thing on NPR the other day about "The Gossip Girls" - two women discussing how we should feel about impressionable young girls being exposed to casual sex and vomit soaked hair. (In my day there was always somone ready to hold it back for you.)

Anyway, they mentioned some miniscule statistic about how many young ladies (I use the term loosely) are swayed by seeing this level of decadence on TV. I think they said "5%".

I say bullshit. I'm thinking more like 60%. If it's on TV and presented as normal, the viewer is going to start accepting it as a natural part of life.

Case in point.

I have a friend my age who has been living a boring existence. A year ago I turned her onto "Weeds", my favorite Showtime premium series about an upper middle class woman whose husband dies. In order to support her sons after his death, she turns to a life of ... is it crime or misdemeanor?

She starts selling pot and has to rely on sources in the black community to teach her the ways. It is effin hilarious.

Anyway, since being exposed to the program my friend has BECOME the main character. No wait - she's just the opposite because in "Weeds" the main character deals, she doesn't smoke. My friend just smokes, doesn't deal. So far as I know.

She blames it on the economy.

Last Friday I was out with another friend (my age), and some white haired guy with the underbite of an overbred Pekingese was hitting on her. He pretended to be hard-of-hearing so he could put his cheek on her right breast and his beak down her cleavage.

She was enjoying the attention. Sometimes bad attention is better than no attention. At one point he asked her if she wore a thong. And she was aghast.

So he looked at me and said "what are you guys, GRANDMAS"?

This from a guy who could play Santa if he let his beard grow out. What a jagoff. I nearly whipped out my wallet to show him photos of my granddaughters, but instead I asked him "do YOU wear one?"

And he acted like that notion was ridiculous.

So I said "you have to have a perfect ass to wear a thong." And I thought ...

You have to be one to ask.

No comments: