Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yoplait Fiber One: Side effects of phenylalanine


The American diet is KILLING us.

Sorry readers, I'm just posting this to get the word out because I can't find anything in a search and I hope someone smart will find this blog and pay attention.

I didn't fall victim to Yoplait Fiber One because of the commercials with the adorable Indian guy ... I saw the "Key Lime Pie" flavor and bought two four-pack servings. They are so good, you can't hardly eat one. And at 50 calories per serving, why should you? Fiber? 5 grams, yay.

Do you ever look at 50 calories on a serving and wonder how something so sweet can be so low cal? So of course I was eating two as a meal with a banana ... before I started getting sick.

I developed a raging yeast infection. This doesn't make any sense. A long time ago a doctor told me yeast infections come from sugar. He said "if you want to stop having them, stop eating sugar."

So I'm not EATING any sugar, WTF???

I used one OTC yeast suppository and started feeling better last night; so I had a snack. Guess what kind of snack. And then guess what - the itching and discomfort came back IMMEDIATELY. Then I was hit by exhaustion. I just woke up from sleeping nearly nonstop for 12 hours.

So I'm remembering back to that label ... this isn't sugar - is it?
Now this is going to take a scientist or nutritionist to figure out. But I did note this on the package. It's an asterisked comment, of course:

PHENYLKETONURICS; CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

I'm a Virgo, my mind pays attention to stuff like that. So after being sick for the past two days, I went back to the package and looked it up online.

http://www.janethull.com/newsletter/1008/warning_phenylketonurics.php

So I'm thinking "I'm sick ... am I a phenylketonuric???" I am many things, but that too??

Here's what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylketonuria
That doesn't sound at all like me. So obviously phenylalanine affects more than phenylketonurics...

Get the word out, read the labels - and those scary asterisks in caps?

Put the product down and step back from the dairy case.

No comments: