Friday, September 5, 2008

Palin bugs me on a lot of levels.

If I've got this right, she's for teaching abstinence (not birth control); as we can see, that's not working very well in HER houshold. Well of course not, it's unrealistic.

I wonder if I would run for vice president if I had a baby with Down's and a pregnant teenage daughter. I ask myself where her priorities are. Where her heart is.

I don't mind that she hunts, so long as she uses what she takes. I don't know a lot of women who are comfortable picking up a gun and taking a life. Women bring life into the world, they cherish it - I don't have any female friends who kill - except for one who did it to survive a winter in Northern Michigan.

A woman would do that out of necessity, to feed family; not for bloodsport. Not to "prove something" to the guys.

I have a friend in Missouri - she's taking care of her dying mother, hard pressed for money, all alone on the family farm, just the two of them.. She went fishing for dinner the other night and had to release what she caught ... "they were too beautiful". She ate cottage cheese instead.

Every strong, powerful, amazing woman I know is a NURTURER of creatures great and small, two legged and four. I know a man who said he couldn't hunt again after watching "the light go out of the deer's eyes."

I mind that she backs aerial hunting of wolves and bears. That's barbaric. But we are growing accustomed to barbarity in this country. It breaks my heart.

I mind that she ignores global warming. I worry that when my grandchildren have children, they'll have to show them where Great Grandma lived by boat with depth sounder.

I mind that in her speech she comes out attacking the man - Obama - who was so gracious in discouraging attacks on her family. Zero class.

I read that there's a scandal coming out about her having an affair with her husband's business partner.

Hypocrisy and ignorance ... this is just what I expect from a party whose priorities are wealth and power for a few.

If I fully comprehend her religious leanings, there also - salvation for a few. The rest of us? Unworthy. That's cool with me, I don't want to be part of a group like that.

It's easier to visualize Palin doing shots off the dash of a Camaro than being second in command in the White House.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Micki, thanks for writing this!

I was an Obama supporter from the get go, cause I feel that HE would bring a refreshing change to DC, but I never knew this about Palin.

Thanks for your perspective... I really enjoyed reading this.