Sunday, March 9, 2008

Day in Matlacha

One of Leoma Lovegrove's paintings
(I talk about her gallery in this blog, see the link below!)


My best friend Patty from Michigan is here for her last week. Then it's back to snow, cold and gray.

At one time we had neighboring antique shops on the St. Clair River in Marine City, Michigan. (Mine is closed, hers is still open - Nepenthe on Water Street.) We became close friends when we realized each of us are eerily other-side in our perspectives. Sort of like John Edwards meets Eastlake Victorian.

Yesterday I took her to Matlacha. She said she'd seen it - she and her husband Frank had driven through. I said that is NOT seeing it.

Frank is back up north and we had a whole day stretched out afore us.

First I taught her how to pronounce it - like a name, Matt LeShay.

First stop - my personal favorite - Leoma Lovegrove's gallery for whimsical birds and fish that will give you goosebumps.

Her gallery has prices for everyone. I don't know who does her handmade signs, but I bought another "Hurricane Preparations" fish ... it reads "Buy large cooler, fill with ice, add beer, invite friends, stand on porch."

Probably nothing expresses the Florida native's view of hurricanes better than this. As Leoma's assistant was wrapping it she asked if I was local.

Their whole expression changes when they find out you are ... she gave me a knowing look and asked if I had seen a hurricane yet. I said no. She said "They are AMAZING. If you are in a safe place, you have to open the blinds and watch."

Leoma's back yard is a soulful fantasyland for artists and crafters with no square foot undecorated - from the hand-placed tiles with surprising figures to the hand-painted garbage cans on the deck overlooking the water.

Patty was as impressed as I expected her to be. She kept trying to set her camera to take pictures of us out in the backyard fantasyland (we got Leoma's permission first) but the winds were so strong the camera kept blowing over. Finally we went inside and Leoma took a few for us.

I have a feeling she spends most of her day with paint on her fingers.

I told her about a hand-painted crate I bought there years ago when I discovered the place. It has a bird similar to the one I head this blog with. She told me she got the crates in Michigan's UP (her Finnish husband's original digs) and ... well, the woman will paint anything that doesn't move.

She said the first ones sold for $50, then some woman came in and bought all of them. I think by that time they were going for $300 apiece. They were bought up by a very wealthy woman who wanted them for her children.

So I'm pretty happy with my modest investment:-) Leoma's stuff is going for big prices now, she has even been commission by Sir Richard Bramson, the Virgin Air guy.

I would be lucky to afford one of her vibrant Giclees one day ... and I do hope to. It would be wonderful to have something like that in the family.

Here's her site.

http://www.leomalovegrove.com/

Anyhoo, I walked out BLISSFULLY pleased to have finally met Leoma in person and found the "Hurricane Preparations" fish. I had bought another one in green and gave it as a gift. I was still kicking mysef around the block for my generosity.

This one is purple ... better still.

Then Patty and I went to the galleries at left and right of Leoma's. Holy crap, I hope people are reading this blog. You cannot come to Cape Coral or Fort Myers without heading over to Matlacha, which is JUST BEFORE Pine Island. Easy to get to, hard to leave.

We spent the whole afternoon and were getting tired, got into the car ... and stopped again within a block to look at more galleries.

Best stuff in these shops - original paintings, artwork, jewelry ... if you can imagine a piece of art or cool way to recreate something mundane ... that's the place. You will leave with your brain BURSTING with ideas.

I was wearing one of my handmade necklaces and got some compliments. Mostly I got ideas for other designs.

Where was I. Oh, yeah. We were heading back down the road and only made it about 20' before we pulled over for more shops. The only parking was at a strange looking building with a sign for Mulletville Bar ... or something like that.

We were tired and goofy but I'm a fanatic for buying something when I use someone's parking or potty.

Patty said she'd buy a pop.

I saw linen napkins through the front door and almost turned to leave when the owner came out with a sign and asked if we wanted lunch or dinner in a fairly strong accent. Ever the smart-ass, I said "yeah" and he glared at me.

We went in anyway. We were both hungry.

Holy crap, what great food. I had a Greek salad and a beer ... Patty had a Salad Nicoise (SP?) ... the blackened tuna was amazing. The name of the restaurant is Adria's ... by the time we left it was packed.

I guess I could get used to the occasional restaurant with linen napkins:-) And it wasn't expensive, these giant delicious salads were about $9.00.

When potty time came, you go through a door that reads "restrooms & bar" ... which naturally creeped me out. Sure enough, a bunch of guys with beer and the john was way over on the other side.

It was a very seedy bar. But I like my bars seedy.

And bad attention is still attention. At my age I should be grateful for ANY.

When Patty's time came, she said the bar was just "very Key West."

I told the owner it was wonderful - I'll be ba-ack.

I will probably NEVER go to Matlacha again without stopping there for a salad. And the service was outstanding.

Then we crossed the street, shopped a little more and drove to Michael's. (Inspired by everything we had seen at Matlacha.) Spent about two hours there.

Any man would have run screaming from that day. But for us it was great.

I told her maybe Sanibel for shelling today, but it's cold.

She leaves next Saturday morning and I am worthless during the week because of work. Hopefully we'll think of something fun. That's not too exhausting!

No comments: