Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thanksgiving in Bruce's Crossing, Michigan















I spent a week at my son's place at Grass Lake before we headed up to my folks' place for Thanksgiving. "We" consisted of me, my son, daughter in-law, two granddaughters, son's Lab and my two dogs.

Shawn likes to drive all night - with a nine hour drive, it's a good way to go. We leave around 6. That allows enough evening for the girls to watch a few movies and fall asleep at regular hours. My son and DIL took turns driving.

We arrived at 4 a.m.

I was granted the sleeper sofa, made famous by the Seinfeld episode wherein Elaine's back goes out from similar sleeping arrangements in Del Boca Vista. I was too tired to notice the bars poking through the bedding until a few days in.
There was more laughter and less weirdness this time. Grandpa was sick about a month ago, he looks good; but we worry. The winters are very hard on people.

Grandma has decided if the bathroom door isn't locked, she'll walk right in and talk as comfortably as if you were in a recliner in the living room. I was aghast - this from the woman who raised me to think it was improper to walk around in a slip in front of other women. I started locking the doors.

All else was good. They went out to the woods and cut down the perfect tree, as wide as it is high. Like we would have been if we ate everything my mother baked.

Mom, Emma and I walked the woods. Princess, my rescue dog has apparently never seen woods before; she howled with delight.

Leaving was sad.

We had Sunday to rest up at my son's house, then I started the long drive back to Florida on Monday. I knew winter would be nipping at my heels, but I caught a two day window of decent weather.

Aside from a Motel 6 that made the last one look like a Ritz Carlton, it was uneventful.
DO NOT STAY AT THE MOTEL 6 IN DALTON, GA!!! Holy shit. You know you're in a bad place when scary guys in baggy pants round a corner and you notice - with horror - that they've come from a better motel.

It seems all pet friendly motels reek of cigarette smoke. The TV was only slightly larger than a TV Guide and my security lock was hanging off the hinges, like the door had been kicked in at one time or the other.
I expected I'd be sharing the place with pimps and crack hos. When I peeked out the window at 4 a.m., the lot was full of nice minivans. Apparently cheap white people traveling with dogs are the new target market for armpit motels.
Dogs are excellent travelers, great company.
We made it home by sunset Tuesday - 1,350 miles.

No comments: