Saturday, August 22, 2009

Night at the Cracker Box

(In season this joint is PACKED.)

It's less than a mile from home ... less than a mile from LaQuinta Inn and Tanger Outlet.

I love places that are like stepping back in time. The Cracker Box has been on McGregor in South Fort Myers for about 35 years. The last time I was there was after romantic full moon kayak adventure on San Carlos Bay. It was either late April or early May. We walked in damp, grinning and dripping with sand; they must have had to vacuum for hours.

I picked that same booth; it offers the best view of the band and the customers. I stretched out sideways, as you might on a half-full flight. This photo captures the mood, but not the place. We're talking old paneling, black ceiling fans and people so relaxed you know they've been going there forever.

Last night they had all you can eat fish & chips for $9.99. The fish was lightly fried, served with triple dipped fries so greasy you can hear your arteries clog. I washed it down with two really cold draft beers. I had good reason to take my time.

The owner has to be in his 80s, you can tell he lives to play bluegrass and "Country gold" with his "Cracker Box Band." The memories and the music were exactly what I needed.

One of their first songs was "Tell me bout the good old days." Give a listen to a Judd version and see if you don't get a lump in your throat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E88RUqyjts

After that they played "Don't have a barrel of money ..." which I think is a depression era song.
(French guy singing it on youtube ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8g7gBSpsY)

Later on the daughter (who was serving the customers and beering the band) went up and started singing. Mom came out from the kitchen to play along on the spoons. A couple from Austria sat at the bar; 14 people came and went while I was there.

The daughter announced they're going to start closing during the week, they'll be open Friday and Saturday nights only til the snowbirds start coming back.

I'll do my best to drag my friends out til then. It's a wonderful way to spend an evening.
If you go, take cash; they don't take credit cards.

16910 Mcgregor Blvd
Fort Myers, FL 33908-2976
(239) 466-4344‎

No comments: