Friday, May 22, 2009

How flawed are YOU?


Went to another networking event at the Edison last night. The first had minimum attendance - this second event was well attended.

Of course we were lured by that first free drink, along with meatballs, pasta, spinach dip, etc.

Meatballs are not easy to eat with plastic forks.

Free food and the first drink is free. I don't know how they're making any money on this. Maybe - as announced - they really ARE giving back to the community.

Speaking as a resident of the advertising - marketing community, I am understandably skeptical. I'm thinking they're doing ok with alcohol sales. Since there was no true structure to the event, it took a fair amount of alcohol to fortify the self-promotion machine.

The Edison could count on the fact that many of us would stay to listen and dance to music by David C. Johnson of The Neville Brothers (a personal favorite of mine - he gives great motown!).

During the networking event I hung with the chicks at a big table at the far end of the room. (I imagine the correct term for single women over 50 would be BROADS - "politically correct" ain't for me pal.) One particular southern gentleman sat with us, but he did so at his own risk. He didn't mind that he was with a table full of women; he minded that they were all from New York. (?!) Suddenly "Michigan" wasn't so "Yankee" after all.

He drawled "can't you hear the accents?" I said "I don't even notice any more."

It was all very tedious - as expected. Well, I have the attention span of a gnat.

The others drank several drinks, I didn't dare. I was wearing a long skirt. I've seen women who've had a few too many tuck their hems into their panties before leaving the restroom. I guess that's ok if you have a perfect ass ...

Which leads me to our discussion of self-loathing. That was fascinating. I think it started with somebody commenting on my skin, which I turned into "well, it's one thing I don't hate about myself". Then someone said "I can think of two things I don't like about me." I was like "Oh hell, I can easily think of five."

Those of us who could think of five or more were in the minority. I thought that was really interesting.

Like I told my best friend the other day, Buddhism isn't about being optimistic or pessimistic ... it's about being REALISTIC. It's about loving yourself and others for who you all REALLY are.

We met a few interesting people. Our unofficial social director glommed onto a hunky massage therapist and his eyes lit up like little stars when she brought him back to us. I got a strange vibe. So appropriate - later we were introduced to his associate who specializes in sex toys.

I dunno, the combination diminished his credibility.

I will end this blog (appropriately) with the fact that one of my favorite crazy girlfriends was hit on by her PROCTOLOGIST last week. She's scheduled for her colonoscopy this coming week.

Euuuuw. Maybe he's buying her dinner first ...

No comments: